In the next few blogs I will present some of the highlights from this book written by Mark Houston, MD. In his introduction he makes this list of statements to shake up your world:
- Abnormal cholesterol levels are Not primary causes or indicators of heart disease.
- Consuming a high cholesterol diet or eating eggs does NOT significantly raise cholesterol.
- All LDL “bad” cholesterol is NOT harmful.
- All HDL “good” cholesterol is NOT protective.
- Blood pressure taken at doctor’s office may NOT be accurate measure of your true blood pressure.
- Fasting glucose of 99mg/dL is NOT safe or normal.
- Normal body weight does NOT ensure heart health.
Then he presents his list of the key points to his:
Integrative Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Program
- Get thoroughly checked by a physician that examines biochemical pathways and disease pathways.
- REDUCE inflammation, autoimmunity and oxidative stress.
- Counteract problems with cholesterol and blood fat; stabilize blood pressure and normalize blood flow through arteries.
- Exercise using the Aerobics, Build, Contour and Tone program.
- Attend to any other disease states that may be contributing to inflammation, autoimmunity or oxidative stress.
- Make Lifestyle changes to achieve ideal body weight.
- Use standard medications as appropriate.
- Stop using All Tobacco products.